About Us

Our congregation first gathered in 1808 under the leadership of Rev. Samuel B. Wilson. As the first Presbyterian congregation in Fredericksburg, the parish erected its first building in 1810 on the corner of Charles St. and Amelia St. Within 20 years, the congregation had outgrown its first building, and erected the current sanctuary in 1833, only a few blocks away from the original parish home.

Throughout our history, the congregation has consistently demonstrated a strong commitment to Christ and to the community. In 1808, the church opened the Missionary Training School as a separate institution to train missionaries to fulfill the Great Commission. After moving into the new sanctuary the parish organized and ran the Female Orphan Asylum in the old building until c1916, when the property was sold. In the 1960s, the basement of the sanctuary was utilized for the Ann Hamrick School for pre-school children, primarily serving the poor in the community.

More recently, the congregation has again found itself fighting social injustice. Today, the church is actively involved in cooperative community efforts that meet basic needs and share Christ’s loveā€”such as our food pantry, the Thurman Brisbon shelter, as well as to our membership with such ministries as a respite visitor program for members who are care-givers for loved ones.

The congregation can be a reflection of God’s love and grace to the community because they have received God’s light and grace themselves. Not only do the ministers nurture the members, but we also emphasize nurturing the faith in each other. Our ministry to the congregation is both traditional and contemporary. Our worship service is traditional, reminding us of our heritage and the eternity of God. Our Fellowship Groups and Sunday School classes for all ages encourage discussion and are geared toward personal spiritual growth and equipping the saints for meeting today’s spiritual challenges.

Mission Statement

Led by the Holy Spirit, we glorify God, nurture the faith with each other, and witness the fullness of Christ’s love in the world.

Vision Statement

As God’s people, we are led by the Holy Spirit to address spiritual and physical needs in our congregation, community and the world. Through worship and mission, we nurture the faith with one another and reach out to be inclusive and welcoming to others. Christian education is vital to our ability to serve, as we study God’s word and support each other in lifelong learning. Building on the heritage of 200 years as a regional witness in the Presbyterian tradition, we will work to preserve God’s creation, honor the gifts God bestows upon us, and reflect Christ’s light in Fredericksburg and beyond for generations to come.